Job Title: Assistant Supervisor | Beavermead Campground
Organization: Otonabee Conservation
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
Type: 26 Week Contract (May 3 – Oct. 29, 2021)
Reports to: Supervisor, Beavermead Campground
Hourly Rate: $23.25
Act as the site supervisor in the absence of the Campground Supervisor. To oversee the delivery of campground services at Beavermead Campground in accordance with relevant legislation and regulations and approved policies, plans and procedures. Responsible for coordinating and supervising park staff for all aspects of park operations including park maintenance, gatehouse operations, and park security.
To assist in the delivery of activities associated with the operation of the Authority’s conservation lands.
Primary Responsibilities (This is not an exhaustive list)
- In accordance with Otonabee Conservation policies and procedures and under the direction of the Supervisor, Beavermead Campground ensure the effective delivery of campground services at Beavermead Campground including oversight and participation of daily operation and maintenance of facilities and grounds (i.e. washroom facilities, boat rentals, campsites, waste/recycling activities, etc.), and related record keeping
- Work in compliance with, and ensure park staff work in compliance with, the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and any other safety related legislation, as well as related organizational health and safety policies and practices
- Ensure the delivery of quality customer service including responding to complaints and providing information and assistance to visitors as required
- Oversee and participate in daily gatehouse operations including proper cash handling procedures, ensuring the security of cash on site, related record keeping, etc.
- Oversee and participate in park security program including performing regular patrols, opening/closing of the park and its facilities, enforcing applicable regulations in response to visitor complaints, taking action when required to resolve noise, security and safety issues, and otherwise ensure compliance within the park
- Job Posting Assistant Supervisor Beavermead Campground 2021 Page: 2
- Adhere to and administer operating policies and procedures to ensure that public safety and security measures are in place and implemented including that staff and visitors are aware of emergency response procedures
- Work in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and provide customer service that meets the specified standards
- Identify and carry out basic repairs to buildings, furniture, and other elements of park infrastructure as required
- Identify and carry out routine maintenance of equipment, tools, and vehicles as required
- Participate in orientation and training programs as required
- Assist with conservation area activities/events when required
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned
- Post-secondary experience in Parks and Recreation, Security, Environmental or related discipline; and/or related work experience in parks or campground operation
- Supervisory, leadership and administrative skills to train, oversee, direct, and evaluate seasonal staff
- Working knowledge of related legislation including the Conservation Authorities Act, Trespass to Property Act, Occupier’s Liability Act, the Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, Highway Traffic Act, Off Road Vehicle Act, and applicable local by-laws
- Broad knowledge of forestry, land & property management, and outdoor recreation
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively as part of a team or independently with minimal supervision
- General knowledge of maintenance/repair of grounds, buildings, and equipment
- Carpentry, grounds maintenance, and small power equipment skills and experience
- General knowledge of/experience with grounds and buildings maintenance tasks and the operation of equipment such as riding and push lawn mowers, weed eaters, side-by-sides, power/manual tools, etc.
- Strong computer skills required (Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word), file management
- Effective communications and customer service skills, comfortable in dealing with the public
- Administration skills to properly handle sales receipts, report hours worked, and source and purchase goods and services in accordance with policies and procedures
- Customer service skills including conflict management and resolution
- Experience in delivering security and enforcement related activities
- Chainsaw Operator Certificate and chainsaw experience an asset
- Valid Ontario Class G driver’s license with a clean driving record. An Ontario Ministry of Transportation 3-year driver’s record (uncertified) must be provided.
- Job Posting Assistant Supervisor Beavermead Campground 2021 Page: 3
- A police record check must be provided in accordance with the Ontario Police Record Checks Reform Act (vulnerable sector check, which includes a criminal record check).
- Standard First Aid and CPR Certificate required (training is provided)
- Must be available to work all weekends and statutory holidays throughout operating season (May-October).
- Required to work irregular shifts involving night time work
- Fatigue resulting from managing multiple tasks and priorities
- Required to lift or move up to 27 kg/60 lbs. (e.g. launching and storing canoes, lifting bags of firewood, move materials including gravel/limestone/rocks, move construction materials, emptying garbage barrels, and moving picnic tables)
- Able to traverse/work on irregular or uneven surfaces and terrain, wet or slippery surfaces
- May be expected to be on-call for the operating period of the campground (May-October)
- Interaction with the general public occasionally required to interact with dissatisfied or angry customers
- Occasionally required to extend or modify hours of work in response to high/low visitor volumes, emergencies, attendance at training sessions or other work related activities
- Working time is spent in a combination of office and field environments, outdoor work is required; this will include exposure to variable weather conditions (especially summer heat) and other workplace environmental hazards such as insects, poison ivy, wild animals, domestic dogs, etc.
- Use of workplace hazardous materials such as cleaning products, fuels and lubricants, construction materials, etc.
- Handling of workplace waste and recycling materials
- Significant use of equipment such as side-by-sides, riding/push mowers, and trimmers
- Significant use of small tools such as hammers, drills, and saws
- Travel using corporate vehicles may be required
HOW TO APPLY
Click on each position title, below to review the position description. To apply, please email your cover letter/resume as one file (.pdf or Word doc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading that includes the work location, name of position, and your name.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.
Example Email Subject: Beavermead Campground | Assistant Supervisor | Taylor Smith
Applications for all positions are due by noon on Friday, March 5, 2021