DURHAM REGION JOBS
Position: Program Coordinator - Climate Change
Organization: Region of Durham
Location: Whitby, Ontario
DELIVERING SERVICE EXCELLENCE
The Region of Durham, dedicated to maintaining outstanding standards of service, relies on the expertise and commitment of our employees. You’d be surprised at the diverse career choices we have to offer! If you seek a career with growth and challenge, where quality and accountability work in tandem with integrity and a responsiveness to change, we welcome you to learn more about us.
Program Coordinator - Climate Change - Job ID#12369
Reporting to the Manager of Sustainability in the Office of the Regional Chair and CAO, the incumbent will:
- Support implementation of priority programs outlined in the Durham Community Energy Plan (DCEP) and Durham Community Climate Adaptation Plan (DCCAP) by working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to develop and implement initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase resilience to climate impacts
- Represent the Region of Durham Sustainability Office at meetings with internal and external stakeholders, and coordinate information sharing between the Region, local area municipalities, and related organizations
- Support the activities of the Durham Region Roundtable on Climate Change (DRRCC) through agenda development and coordination, briefings, presentations and liaison with members
- Develop and promote educational programs and community events related to climate and environmental themes
- Conduct research to determine best practices/emerging technologies and to gather information to guide decision making processes
- Develop and prepare proposals, plans, reports and business cases for community climate initiatives
- Assist departments and community stakeholders to develop and implement strategies related to climate change
- Participate in meetings both internal and external to the Region
- Assist with the selection of consultants and program partners
- Review and analyze legislation and programs relating to the environment and climate change to ensure leverage/compliance with current and emerging initiatives, legislation and associated regulations
The successful applicant will possess:
- A degree in Environmental Science, Public Policy, Planning or a related discipline (a focus on climate change is preferred)
- A minimum of two years' experience related to the implementation of community-facing energy and climate adaptation policies and programs in a municipal context
- An understanding of the program development process, and how to implement new initiatives (including planning, costing, team building, implementation, and evaluation techniques)
- Experience working with the public and stakeholders on the development and implementation of community-facing community energy and/or climate adaptation programs
- Knowledge of Climate Change legislation, the Region's Purchasing By-law and familiarity with Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) and International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives (ICLEI) standards and processes
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation, report writing and time management skills
- Excellent computer skills with extensive knowledge of MS Office applications
- Ability to apply knowledge in a non-routine manner
- Ability to work independently within a team environment
- A valid Ontario Class G Driver's Licence and access to a reliable vehicle
To learn more about this opportunity, please visit our website at: http://bit.ly/2OfZBtA and apply directly to Job ID#12369 no later than December 15, 2019.
We thank all applicants; however, only those to be considered for an interview will be contacted.
Lorsque vous enverrez votre candidature, merci d’indiquer que vous avez vu cette offre d’emploi sur le site GoodWork.ca.