Home | Job Postings | Gardening Jobs | Sustainability
Job Title: Assistant Conservation Areas Technician
Organization: Otonabee Conservation
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
Duration: 16 Week Contract (May – Sep. 6, 2021)
Reports to: Manager, Conservation Lands Program
Hourly Rate: $14.25
Responsible for the operation and maintenance of Otonabee Conservation owned properties.
Primary Responsibilities (This is not an exhaustive list)
- Carry out daily operations and maintenance of conservation areas (grounds, facilities, beaches, picnic areas, campgrounds, trails, waste/recycling activities, washroom cleaning), and related record keeping
- Work under supervision of the Manager, Conservation Lands Program
- Work in compliance with the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA) and any other safety related legislation, as well as related organizational health and safety policies and practices
- Perform basic repairs to buildings, furniture, and other elements of park infrastructure as required
- Undertake routine maintenance of equipment, tools, buildings, and vehicles
- Provide good customer service and problem solve for visitors as required
- Adhere to operating policies and practices to ensure the safety of both staff and visitors
- Assist with duties pertaining to forest management, restoration projects and ecological monitoring
- Participate in orientation and training programs as required
- Assist with conservation area activities and events when required
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned
- Post-secondary experience in in Parks and Recreation, Forestry, Landscaping, or other area related to natural resources management or demonstrated work experience in conservation areas/parks related maintenance an asset
- Self-motivated and able to work effectively as part of a team or independently with minimal supervision
- General knowledge of maintenance/repair of grounds, buildings and equipment
- Carpentry, grounds maintenance, and small power equipment skills and experience
- General knowledge of/experience with grounds and buildings maintenance tasks and the
- operation of equipment such as riding and push lawn mowers, weed eaters, side-by-sides,
- power/manual tools, etc.
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office required, GIS experience is an asset)
- Effective communications and customer service skills, comfortable in dealing with the public
- Knowledge of applicable regulations, laws and bylaws an asset
- Customer service skills including conflict management and resolution
- Chainsaw Operator Certificate and chainsaw experience an asset
- Valid Ontario Class G driver’s license with a clean driving record. An Ontario Ministry of
- Transportation 3-year driver’s record (uncertified) must be provided
- A police record check must be provided in accordance with the Ontario Police Record
- Checks Reform Act (vulnerable sector check, which includes a criminal record check)
- Emergency First Aid and CPR Certificate required (training is provided)
- May be required to work weekends and statutory holidays throughout contract duration
- Fatigue resulting from managing multiple tasks and priorities
- Required to lift or move up to 27 kg/60 lbs. (e.g. move materials including
- gravel/limestone/rocks, move construction materials, emptying garbage barrels, and
- moving picnic tables)
- Able to traverse/work on irregular or uneven surfaces and terrain, wet or slippery surfaces
- Interaction with the general public within the conservation areas
- Occasionally required to extend or modify hours of work in response to high/low visitor
- volumes, emergencies, attendance at training sessions or other work related activities
- Outdoor work is required: this will include exposure to variable weather conditions
- (especially summer heat) and other workplace hazards e.g. insects, poison ivy, and wild
- animals, domestic dogs, etc.
- Use of workplace hazardous materials such as cleaning products, fuels and lubricants,
- construction materials, etc.
- Handling of workplace waste and recycling materials
- Significant use of equipment such as riding/push mowers, and trimmers
- Significant use of small tools such as hammers, drills, and saws
- Travel to conservation areas using corporate vehicles required
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please email your cover letter/resume as one file (.pdf or Word doc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading that includes the work location, name of position, and your name.
Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.
Example Email Subject: Conservation Lands | Assistant Conservation Areas Technician | Taylor Smith
Applications for all positions are due by noon on Friday, March 5, 2021
Remarque: Cette publication est présentée telle quelle et à des fins d'informations générales seulement. People et Planet (aussi connu sous le nom de ''GoodWork")'') n'est pas responsable du contenu, de la précision, du délai de réponse, de l'exaustivité, de la légalité, de la fiabilité, de la qualité ou de la pertinence de cette publication. Nous n'évaluons pas ou n'approuvons pas les organisations ou individus concernés. Si vous décidez d'accepter une offre d'emploi, de bénévolat ou tout autre offre, vous le faites à vos propres risques et il est de votre responsabilité de prendre toutes les mesures requises pour vous protéger contre toute blessure, abus, non-paiement, ou toute autre perte. Veuillez lire en détail tous les termes et conditions.
Current status: Open/apply now.
Date publiée : Feb 19 2021
Numéro : 58747