Home | Job Postings
JOB POSTING / OFFRE D'EMPLOI
Position: COMMUNITY GARDEN MANAGER
Organization: Many Feathers Co-Op
Location: northwest Mississauga, GTA/Peel Region, Ontario
Part-time, $16/hour, 20 hours/week
Date of contract is approximately May 1 – Nov 1
Many Feathers is looking for an individual to manage our two existing and develop our third community garden alongside our Community Garden Director. This individual will participate in promoting the gardens at our events, will engage volunteers, and will fulfil an active role in our garden donation program. This role focuses on the efficient gardening and management of the community gardens; it is a great position for someone with some previous knowledge of gardening, but who is looking to grow their career in the agriculture/environmental industry.
- Reports directly to the Community Garden Director
- To manage all gardens on-side and administratively
- Report issues within the garden and record data from harvests
- Participate on planning teams for future growth
- Coordinate volunteers and host drop-in sessions
- Work with Education Coordinator to facilitate workshops and the junior gardeners program that they host within the gardens
- Project-coordinate current gardens and manage planning to execution of new gardens
- Coordinate food donations with the Food Access Coordinator and representatives from the groups we donate to
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITY
- Develop and care for each garden – prepare the soil in the spring, plan and plant seedlings, coordinate watering schedule, maintain plant care throughout season
- Responsible for weekly harvests and storing produce
- Be a vendor at the weekly farmers market (role shared amongst other garden staff), participate in the business element of small-scale farming by selling the produce and interacting with customers
- Participate in extra duties such as composting/manuring and problem-solving pest/fungicide issues through organic means (pesticide-free garden, only natural tactics utilized)
- Maintain the garden tracker with the Community Garden Director to track progress; participate in monthly data analysis review to observe progress
- Health and safety checks
- A degree, or working towards a degree related to urban agriculture, permaculture, environmental studies, etc.
- Experience in gardening or farming, specifically with fruits and vegetables an asset
- Previous volunteer experience highly considered – we see dedication to community and volunteering as an important applicant component
- Be able to work outside in all weather conditions, physically fit for gardening (bending over, weeding, etc.) able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Must have reliable transportation; public transit is not available for all sites
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- First aid and CPR Level C certification is an asset or willing to obtain
- Must be able to work weekends and (some) evenings
- Must reply to emails in a timely manner from receipt (24-48hrs)
If you are looking for an excellent opportunity to share or develop your skills and have a commitment to the environment please apply with a resume or a short email about why you are interested in joining the Many Feathers team to: Samantha Staresincic at email@example.com
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until April 10th with interviews to follow.
Lorsque vous enverrez votre candidature, merci d’indiquer que vous avez vu cette offre d’emploi sur le site GoodWork.ca.
Remarque: Cette publication est présentée telle quelle et à des fins d'informations générales seulement. People et Planet (aussi connu sous le nom de ''GoodWork")'') n'est pas responsable du contenu, de la précision, du délai de réponse, de l'exaustivité, de la légalité, de la fiabilité, de la qualité ou de la pertinence de cette publication. Nous n'évaluons pas ou n'approuvons pas les organisations ou individus concernés. Si vous décidez d'accepter une offre d'emploi, de bénévolat ou tout autre offre, vous le faites à vos propres risques et il est de votre responsabilité de prendre toutes les mesures requises pour vous protéger contre toute blessure, abus, non-paiement, ou toute autre perte. Veuillez lire en détail tous les termes et conditions.
Numéro : 44583
Date publiée sur GoodWork.ca: Mar 12 2018