HORTICULTURAL THERAPY JOBS
Saint Ann’s Garden Club, Program Coordinator
Position: St. Ann's Garden Club Coordinator
Hours: permanent, Tues–Fri., 8:30am–3:30pm
Organization: Providence Farm
Location: Duncan, Vancouver Island BC
Providence Farm is a therapeutic farm nestled at the base of Mount Tzouhalem in the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island, British Columbia. Since 1979, the Vancouver Island Providence Community Association, a registered charity and non-profit society, has been operating creative and innovative programs at the Farm for adults in the Valley with mental health issues, brain injuries and development challenges.
Trusting in Providence, and building upon the faith-centered heritage of our founding members, we are committed to serving needs and fostering talents of people in the Cowichan Valley, especially of those not easily accepted elsewhere, through our therapeutic community at Providence Farm. Our focus shall be upon the renewal of body and spirit and upon people caring for the soil, and the soil nurturing the people.
Purpose of the Position:
Reporting to the Executive Director the purpose of this position is to develop, provide and supervise the programming for SAGC, a horticultural therapy program for seniors with mental health and age-related illnesses.
Education, Skills & Abilities:
A combination of education and experience in the following areas is required:
- Mental Health Support Worker Certificate and/or Community Support Worker education or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license (Class 4).
- Horticulture therapy training and experience working with seniors in a horticultural therapy program.
- Horticulture or Master Gardening education and experience.
- Experience with senior population who have mental health and age-related illnesses.
- Non-Violent Communication
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention
- First Aid and CPR
- Criminal Record Check is required, specific to “vulnerable persons”
- Proficiency with computer skills
In addition, we are looking for:
- Interpersonal communication skills and the ability to foster positive relationships.
- Organizational and management skills.
- Flexibility and a spirit of teamwork and cooperation.
- Ability to function independently.
- Ability to seek new opportunities, identify gaps and contribute to the Programs growth
- Physical ability to work on a farm (e.g. walking, lifting, twisting, carrying)
- Proficient time and general management skills.
- Ability to model a healthy lifestyle.
- A warm and empathetic presence.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise and support one part-time Program Support Worker, volunteers, and practicum students, including the coordination of scheduling.
- Manage participant referrals and ensure program spaces are being filled with appropriate clients for the program.
- Assess participant capabilities and design daily activities accordingly.
- Plan and develop horticultural therapy activities, arts and craft activities and garden areas in co-operation with the Program Support Worker.
- Periodically review referral forms and program criteria and make improvements.
- Discuss program issues and debrief on a regular basis with program personnel.
- Keep daily case notes on participants and log of activities.
- Design and keep up to date assessment tools (flow chart and emergency contacts).
- Support and assist participants in having a meaningful and enjoyable program experience.
- Integrate students and volunteers into the program, and encourage them to use their individual strengths and talents to benefit the program.
- Model and encourage a warm, friendly and safe environment for everyone involved.
- Promote the integration of SAGC into the wider Providence Farm community.
- Be available to give tours of SAGC as requested.
- Manage and adhere to the SAGC program budget and petty cash.
- Coordinate, supervise and provide transportation for participants.
- Coordinate annual fundraising events for SAGC (Christmas Craft Fair, SAGC Plant Sale).
- Ensure the raised bed gardens are well maintained and cared for in consultation with the Program Support Worker
- Act as liaison between care workers, families and caregivers.
- Complete all administrative functions required in the SAGC program.
- Provide a confidential, safe, warm and welcoming horticultural therapy program for seniors with mental health illnesses.
- Provide attendance reports.
- Attend monthly meetings with the Seniors Outreach Team (Vancouver Island Health Authority) to discuss participant progress, program issues and wait list placement.
- Complete and submit incident reports as needed and update participant files.
- Maintain appropriate levels of communication with other Farm staff, participants and supervisors.
- Participate in the staff assessment process.
- Facilitate open interaction and problem solving between co-workers, clients, volunteers and staff.
- Assume additional responsibilities when agreed upon, at the request of the supervisor.
- Attend in-service training sessions when available.
- Attend staff meetings weekly and Health and Safety meetings monthly.
- You are required to support the program and work through lunch break therefore this half hour will be included in your paid time.
- Manage the SAGC building and outdoor space to ensure a safe environment for seniors.
Hours of Work:
8:30 am to 3:30 pm, Tuesday through Friday (with staff meetings on select Thursday mornings at 8:00 am).
Wage range of $20.55 to $22.85 per hour based on experience and education..
Vacation pay per cheque at 4%
Permanent, Part-time position
Job posting deadline:
Please submit your resume and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 22th, at 3:00 pm.
Lorsque vous enverrez votre candidature, merci d’indiquer que vous avez vu cette offre d’emploi sur le site GoodWork.ca.