Title: Horticulture & Materials Collection Supervisor
Organization: Toronto Zoo
Location: Toronto Zoo, GTA/Scarborough, Ontario
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Basic Function: Reporting to the Horticulture & Grounds Manager, this position is responsible for supervising all aspects of horticulture, arboriculture, grounds cleanliness and maintenance, landscaping and materials collection in assigned areas. This position will assist and provide support in implementing the approved Strategic Plan.
- Instructs and supervises gardeners in the propagation of plants from seeds and cuttings, and the design, preparation, planting and care of exhibit habitat plantings and flower beds.
- Outdoor supervisor ensures that grassed areas and natural habitat areas are properly prepared and maintained. Indoor supervisor is responsible for the management of the greenhouse and pavilion horticulture.
- Assists the Horticulture Manager and other appropriate staff in planning and implementing landscape projects, and instructs gardeners on all phases of landscaping.
- In conjunction with the Manager, prepares and implements the operating budget for the Branch, obtains quotes, selects and arranges the purchase of all plants, trees, shrubs, equipment, materials and supplies required.
- Responsible for snow and ice removal from Zoo roads and pathways to ensure public and staff safety.
- Responsible for ensuring that all Branch equipment is properly maintained.
- Responsible for overseeing litter pick up, site road sweeping, collection of garbage, manure and recyclables from outdoor areas and operation of the Zoo's composting program.
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of designated irrigation systems.
- Keeps an accurate record of all materials collected.
- Interviews, selects, trains, supervises and directs, evaluates, schedules and disciplines assigned staff.
- Prepares and submits written reports, proposals and records and makes recommendations as required.
- Assists in representing the Branch both on and off site including committee meetings, group tours, educational seminars, community outreach and conservation and waste management initiatives.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with WHMIS legislation, the Occupational Health & Safety Act and Toronto Zoo Safety Policy; ensuring all employees work in a safe manner, with appropriate protective equipment and that all accidents and hazards within areas of responsibility are promptly investigated and corrective action taken.
- Assists guests on-site as required and ensures excellent customer service is provided by Zoo staff.
- Coordinates and schedules staff and equipment for partnership programs and special events.
- Other related duties as requested by the Manager.
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree or diploma in horticulture, combined with a minimum of three years supervisory experience (preferably in a unionized environment) in a horticultural position or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Practical experience in greenhouse management is desirable.
- Must possess well developed supervisory, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Must possess (or agree to obtain) Ministry of Environment Landscape Pesticide Licenses. Must possess working knowledge of pest control and IPM-PHC practices required.
- Experience with waste reduction, re-use, recycling and composting.
- A thorough working knowledge of gardening and grounds keeping equipment including the operation of heavy equipment essential.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality landscapes and illustrate horticulture skills.
- Must possess a working knowledge of WHMIS legislation and the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Must possess a driver's license valid in the Province of Ontario, preferably at the Class D-Z level, along with a good driving record. (e.g. driving to various locations offsite and onsite in a Zoo vehicle).
- Must be able to produce concise, comprehensive reports and proposals.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the job.
- Proficiency in the use of a computer particularly in word processing, e-mail and spreadsheets would be an asset.
CANDIDATES MAY BE REQUIRED TO TAKE A WRITTEN AND/OR PRACTICAL EXAMINATION RELEVANT TO THE POSITION.
If interested in this position, please submit your resume and cover letter by December 23, 2018 to*:
Please state “Application for Horticulture & Materials Collection Supervisor” in the subject line of your email.
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
The Toronto Zoo provides accommodation for employees with disabilities, as defined under the Ontario Human Rights Code. If contacted for an interview, and you require specific accommodation for the interview process because of a disability or a medical need, then please advise the person contacting you of your requirements, so that arrangements can be made for the appropriate accommodations to be in place before you begin the interview process.
Lorsque vous enverrez votre candidature, merci d’indiquer que vous avez vu cette offre d’emploi sur le site GoodWork.ca.