GreenUP Ecology Park
Position: Environmental Education Programs Coordinator
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
Term: Reoccurring contract, 8-months in 2019 (April through November), average of 30 hrs/wk with 37.5 hr/wk required in July and August
Desired Start Date: Early to Mid-April
Reporting To: Vern Bastable, Manager of Ecology Park, GreenUP
GreenUP is a registered environmental charity that offers dozens of programs and services to those living and working in the Peterborough region. Our programs focus on facilitating positive action and providing the tools to make small changes that can create a large and lasting impact on our environment. As an active community organization, we partner with individuals, businesses, other non-profit organizations, and governments to ensure that our region maintains its long-standing track record of environmental leadership in Ontario and across Canada.
GreenUP Ecology Park is a five-acre showcase of sustainable landscape ideas and resources. With a host of display gardens and naturalized areas, a native plant and tree nursery, education programs, a garden market, skill-building workshops, and hands-on displays, this award-winning park is a vibrant sanctuary in the middle of our city.
The Ecology Park Education Programs Coordinator will oversee the planning, delivery, evaluation, and administration of environmental education programs at GreenUP Ecology Park. This includes on-site school programs, children’s summer camps, as well as off-site environmental education programs.
The Ecology Park Education Coordinator will also support waste reduction education programs, including residential composting programs.
Through this work, the Ecology Park Education Coordinator will provide critical experiences for students, teachers, and the general public. These experiences will inspire an ongoing interest in the living world, local ecology, and sustainable living, and will teach skills for environmental stewardship and resiliency.
- Directly planning, implementing, and evaluating GreenUP Ecology Park’s School Education Programs offered on-site in the Spring and Fall
- Directly planning, implementing, and evaluating GreenUP’s Summer Camp Programs in July and August (including 6 weeks of camp instruction)
- Work with GreenUP staff to research, plan, and implement a variety of innovative and engaging environmental educational activities, outside of regular programming. Target audiences may include school groups, various children’s camps, families, youth groups, daycare centres, etc.
- Directly support the planning, implementation and evaluation of GreenUP’s Waste Reduction education programs, including the Home Composter Installation Program.
- Actively promote programs and confirm all bookings for GreenUP Ecology Park programs throughout the season. This will include producing and distributing information relevant to families, teachers, and children.
- In partnership with Program Manager, the Coordinator will schedule, train, and supervise all part-time and/or contract staff and interns who will be supporting the education programs.
- Assist in the writing, design, and redevelopment of curriculum-linked school materials and programs including workshops, lesson plans, and support resources.
- Collect payment from groups, issue receipts and evaluation forms, and deliver accurate payment and administrative record-keeping files to the Manager of Finance.
- Ensure the safety and well-being of all program participants at Ecology Park; effectively implement all of GreenUP’s Health and Safety procedures.
- Assist in the set up, maintenance, and take down of the children’s garden and education activity centres.
- Assist and collaborate with Ecology Park staff on the development of new displays and programs as required.
- Contribute to the development of funding applications to support the Ecology Park Education Programs.
- Prepare detailed and accurate reports and assessments for funders and Managers as required; participate in strategic discussions to maximize effectiveness of children’s programs.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Key Characteristics and Skills to Succeed in this Role:
- Project Coordination skills: Demonstrated success in coordinating projects from conceptualization through to implementation. Organized and able to manage time well. Strong attention to detail.
- Teamwork skills: Proven teamwork skills and the ability to work collaboratively. Manages conflicts and setbacks with tact, respect, and professionalism. Able to support programs with evening and weekend shifts when required.
- Facilitation skills: Experience and/or interest in creating effective, meaningful community engagement activities. Demonstrated meeting management skills. Ability to move groups towards shared goals. Ability to be respectful and welcoming to a widely diverse community base, regardless of income levels, abilities, age, cultural, ethnic background, or gender identity.
- Research and Data Analysis skills: Ability to meaningfully collect, compute, analyze and communicate statistical data. Microsoft Office and Data Entry Management knowledge preferred.
- Initiative: Identifies necessary improvements, new directions and priorities for projects, and is proactive in bringing those forward with rationale and recommendations for implementation. Works within the limitations of a non-profit environment and adapts to change and opportunity.
- Conscientiousness: Able to juggle multiple priorities, effectively balancing short-term needs of programs with larger longer-term organizational goals.
- Critical-thinking skills: Able to analyze problems systematically, asking good questions to identify underlying causes, and recommending potential solutions.
- Communication: Strong communication skills, with the ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively. Ability to deliver media statements on and off camera. Strong knowledge of software such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Adobe Illustrator considered an asset.
- Environmentally-minded: Demonstrated commitment to the environment and community through previous work or volunteerism.
- Post Secondary degree in related field of study; Teaching Certificate considered an asset
- 2+ years experience leading and developing education programs for children
- Experience with the Ontario Elementary and Secondary School Curriculum
- Strong knowledge of local native plants, wildlife, aquatic systems, ecosystems, and food production
- Knowledge of environmental issues, especially in the areas of waste reduction and climate change
- Experience beekeeping considered an asset
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of conditions
- First Aid/CPR
- The successful candidate will be required to produce a current Police Vulnerable Sector Check satisfactory to GreenUP immediately upon hire
- Valid Driver’s License considered an asset
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume, as a single PDF, to email@example.com with the following subject line: “Ecology Park Education Programs Coordinator”.
Submission Deadline: Monday April 1st, 9:00 a.m.
We thank all candidates for applying; only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
To perform the essential functions of this role, the Coordinator will be required to complete physically demanding tasks, including: lifting, bending, kneeling, pulling, and carrying. The Coordinator should be able to lift a minimum of 50lbs. GreenUP invites applications from anyone who feels they meet the qualifications of this posting. GreenUP is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from People of Colour, Indigenous People, and other visible minorities; persons with disabilities and who are differently abled; and, persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Lorsque vous enverrez votre candidature, merci d’indiquer que vous avez vu cette offre d’emploi sur le site GoodWork.ca.