Position: Farmers Market Manager
Organization: Grow Local Society - Tricities (GLS)
Location: Port Coquitlam / Port Moody / Tri-Cities, Greater Vancouver BC
Grow Local Society – TriCities invites applications for the Farmers Market Manager position. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Market Manager is responsible for the smooth operation and promotion of our weekly, outdoor Farmers Markets.
About Grow Local Society:
Grow Local Society (GLS) is a non-profit, volunteer driven organization. We operate Farmers Markets, Community Gardens, and food security projects in the Tri-City region. Our beginnings are rooted in a community economic development project initiated by SFU students in 1996, resulting in one of the longest running suburban Farmers Markets in the Lower Mainland.
The Farmers Market Manager responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following areas:
- Marketing and communications;
- Vendor management and relationship building;
- Community leadership and engagement;
- Leadership and HR;
- Strategic planning;
- Program development and management.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Strong people management skills, including recruiting and retaining a diverse group of vendors
- Significant marketing/branding, and financial management experience;
- Project management;
- Experience working with small businesses is an asset;
- Astute leadership skills;
- Ability to set clear priorities, delegate, and contribute to organizational strategic direction;
- Excellent relationship building skills with an ability to communicate and work effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders,
- Strong analytic, organization, and problem-solving skills, which support and enable sound decision making;
- Ability to cultivate a strong and cohesive culture across the organization;
- Strong conflict management skills, and ability to negotiate persuasively and achieve consensus amongst differing opinions; and
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills with the ability to be an outgoing spokesperson, and relationship builder; and
- Collaborating, mentoring and empowering staff.
The Farmers Market Manager is a dynamic and versatile role. It is a key role in the organization managing farmers markets, creating a fun and engaging work environment, engaging the community, and contributing to the growth and direction of the Society. It requires a variety of diverse skills to manage the various aspects of the position.
On Market Day:
- Manages Winter Markets - November – April attends Sunday markets (8am – 3pm)
- Manages Annual Christmas Market – second Saturday in December (7am – 5pm)
- Manages Summer Markets - May – October attends weekly Sunday markets (7am – 2pm), and Wednesday markets (1pm-8pm).
- Facilitates the set up of the Market including: determining tent layout, assembling tents, tables, banners, and other Market day materials
- Manages vendors: directing vendors to their locations, collect fees, market currencies, and handle vendor queries
- Assists Assistant Market Manager to oversee staff and volunteers, community group participants, and entertainers
- Provides Market information to shoppers and vendors; and positively handles concerns and queries
- Positively represents Grow Local Society - Tricities to the community.
Beyond Market Day
- Vendor Management: manage vendor relationships, create and maintain vendor schedule, create monthly newsletter, answer queries, recruit new vendors
- Marketing and communications: create and implement plan to promote farmers market
- Creates monthly newsletter, distribute press releases, create content and manage social media presence
- Creates general, event and promotional materials
- Maintains website – blog posts, social media promotions, vendor profiles, events and workshops
- Program Management: implements and manages programs operating through the market
- Attend monthly board meetings
- Responds to general inquiries, through phone, email, and social media
- Represents the CFMS at community events in the Tri-Cities
- Works from home office
We are looking for someone who:
- Enjoys working in a fast paced environment, has a passion for local food, and enjoys being outside in all weather conditions
- Is a people person with excellent management abilities and enjoys talking and engaging with others
- Has strong marketing skills with significant experience in social media and cause marketing campaigns
- Has an interest and/or experience in community economic development and is familiar with the not-for- profit sector
- Is self directed, reliable, responsible, and works collaboratively as part of a team
- Can handle conflict situations with sensitivity
- Can manage others and delegate tasks appropriately
- Has excellent written and oral communication skills
- Has regular access to a computer, printer, and email
- Is computer literate, with good working knowledge of basic software applications (Word, Excel)
- Graphic design and knowledge of design software an asset
- Can lift up to 10 kg of equipment
- Has a valid BC drivers license, and access to a reliable vehicle to bring market day items to market, and to use when posting signage with the surrounding community
- Familiarity with the Tri-Cities area an asset
Term of Contract:
- $33,670 - $45,500 annual salary
Please forward a cover letter and resume, describing how your background/experience meets the above criteria by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Lorsque vous enverrez votre candidature, merci d’indiquer que vous avez vu cette offre d’emploi sur le site GoodWork.ca.